Sonshine Preschool is a program to give children a foundation for life. The responsibility is to provide a service to families of our community for the highest type of early education through:
- A well organized program to meet the intellectual, physical social and spiritual growth of preschool age children and give them a positive approach to learning.
- To provide a loving and stimulating environment to aid in developing the potential and positive self concept of each child toward independence, responsibility, and social consciousness.
- Fully utilizing the physical facilities of Door of Hope Community Church, for the benefit of the community.
- To strengthen the family of each child by nurturing a love of God and each other and by providing encouragement, support, helps and opportunities for growth.
- To create a Christian atmosphere so children may become aware of God’s love as revealed in Jesus Christ, in nature, and in people where they are loved unconditionally.
- To accept themselves and peers as persons with their own worth, regardless of real or imagined differences and that each are unique, capable and gifted.
- To help children accept mature authority and loving interest outside the home.
- To work and play well with other children, in-group settings.
- To create atmosphere in which a child may develop self-confidence and independence.
- To teach each child the values of respect, resourcefulness, and responsibility.
- To learn what it means to be an American.
- To speak and express self clearly.
- To develop and appreciation of literature and the arts.
- To provide an atmosphere of co-operation in which parent, teacher and child can learn together.
- Develop Physical/Motor Skills- Young children need opportunities to use his/her body in a variety of active ways for coordination by running, jumping, climbing, lifting, pushing, and pulling. Physiological readiness proceeds other learning.
- Develop Fine Motor Skills- Our environment provides children with the opportunities to practice with things to put in, take out, match, fit, connect, and disconnect while using developmental materials like manipulatives, puzzles, pegs, play-doh, beads and etc.
- Develop Language Arts-In listening to their own peers and other languages as they are spoken and sung in many forms children learn vocabulary and the rhythm of speech. Classroom libraries, storytelling, self expression (puppets and telephones) games, alphabet letter, calendar, recognition (name, address, phone number) expression through show and tell are only a few ;means of communication which are vital to both personal and academic success.
- Develop Social Concepts – Solidarity role-playing to sharing and understanding rules and limits develops through socio-dramatic play. The child begins to feel secure in himself, family and community through housekeeping, dress up, blocks, field trips and snack.
- Develop Creative Expression- The value of Arts and crafts at an early age give children the opportunities for experimentation and discovery. Children learn about basic colors, and shapes, through painting, coloring, cutting, gluing, play-doh, and sand/water play. They learn the creation of something that is uniquely their own when they learn to control the medium and it comes with satisfaction.
- Develop Science and Nature- Children become more independent and confident when the know and understand about their world. As they learn seasons, weather, bodies, senses, health and nutrition the world God made for them becomes appreciated and celebrated.